Today we chat to talented artist & creative force behind lifestyle store Island Collective, Fleur Yorston. Fleur curates the most amazing 'island style' homewares & beach gear, but is also the creator of amazing and unique wall art including her very popular Leilani Surfboard! We hope you enjoy this edition of behind the brand.
1. Tell us a bit about yourself?
I'm a native New Zealander, who moved to Yamba, Northern NSW in 2010 with my partner and 2 children. Chasing the sun, surf and more family time.
2. Why did you start your business?
Everything I do now, I have always done, but always separately. After moving to Yamba I saw a gap in area for a lifestyle store that was original and where I could also have my own studio.
3. Where do you get your inspiration?
I find inspiration comes in so many shapes and forms and when I least expect it. Social media platforms like pinterest and instagram are amazing but can be overwhelming. I quite often find if I’m styling for a photoshoot for new products, I do what I call blind styling, start by moving objects around until I’m happy. Having a fine art background I use the same elements as when I construct a piece of art. Composition, scale, colour, contrast etc
4. Do you have a favourite item in your collection?
My favourite item has to be my own creation, my decorative Leilani surfboards.
5. What does an average day look like for you?
I'm up with birds…I love waking up and having quiet time before the kids wake up. Everyday is completely different, from packing website orders, customer relations, to styling and photographing new products (my favourite) to getting in my studio and working on my own paintings or sculptures. The end of the day is normally just as busy, I’m off dropping and picking up kids from sports.
6. Are there any current trends you are inspired by at the moment?
Im not massive on following trends, but the trend with Interior plant styling really excites me.
7. Where is your favourite beach?
We are surrounded with amazing beaches in our area and being surrounded in a national park, means you can be on a beach and see no houses and buildings for miles..(and no people outside of busy holiday periods). They all have different aspects, so its a case of checking the wind to see which one will be best.
8. Do you have an item you can't live without for a day at the beach? It's got to be an original roundie by The Beach People. Nothing beats their quality and durability. I love long days at the beach, so sun protection is a must, so we never head out with our beach life beach shade from Byron Bay Beachlife (which we stock)I think its one of the best sun protection on the market, especially with kids because you have a 360 view out so you can keep an eye on the kids.
9. If you could holiday anywhere in the world where would you go?
Next year we are off to Morocco with another family, a life long dream of mine. Other than that i would say Tibet and Staying on a Junk boat in Vietnam. I read a quote recently that i love about travel “The only trips you’ll regret, are the ones you didn’t take"
10. What’s next for you’re business, anything exciting on the horizon you can share with us?
Being a creative and a small business owner by mind doesn’t stop. A new addition to our website is Gift Register for brides and grooms or special birthdays or occasions. We can even help with a personalised curating service with the gift register, so clients can get exactly what they want and create their own beautiful abode.
Im also currently developing ideas with my Leilani surfboard to combine my love of interior plants with them.
You can find out more about Island Collective and their amazing products here
Be especially sure to check out Fleur's amazing artworks!